[Gpg4win-devel] Novice Manual Proofreading

Brigitte gordianknits at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 20:30:50 CET 2007

Hi Michael,
I am responding to some of the comments you made to Bernhard with regard
to making the document more accessible to 'normal' people.  I assume you
are speaking about the proofreading of the draft translation.

I translated the first draft of the novice manual from the German
original, so I would like to stay involved in the completion of the
manual (ie. proofreading and final editing). I would appreciate being
kept in the loop, particularly if you intend to make substantial wording
changes to the document. It is an opportunity for me to learn as well!

One thing I wanted to mention - I do not agree with your assessment that
the term 'novice' is inappropriate here because most people would think
a novice to be a first year monk or similar. This is simply not true.
In fact, the term 'novice' is quite well known, particularly in
technical language (and especially in manuals), and not one person I
asked about this thought of a religious order in this context.
Actually, considering how rare religious orders are nowadays, most
people don't even know what a 'novice' is anymore....well, you get the
drift.

Having said that, I do not disagree with the use of 'beginner', but it
changes the meaning slightly too.  A 'beginner' is someone who does not
know anything, whereas a 'novice' knows a little bit but needs more
instruction/help.  Also, people generally like to think they are
'novices' rather than 'beginners' too....  This manual seems to fit into
the latter category (because it does assume a bit of computer
knowledge), but if that is not correct, then I agree with you that it
should be changed to Beginner (Bernhard?).

Brigitte