[Gpg4win-devel] [Announce] GPGME 1.1.7 released

Igor Belyi gpgme at katehok.ac93.org
Wed Nov 26 20:12:25 CET 2008

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> It is unfortunate that you need to ship your own copy of gpgme.  I don't know if
> python on windows supports dynamic loading of libraries.  If yes, it might be a
> good idea to do that, and thus auto-detect if gpgme is installed.
>
> OTOH, you might have a hard time finding gpgme, as we are working on removing
> dependencies on registry entries.  However, we can provide a way to do that (by
> querying gpgconf, which should be in the PATH).

Well... Python can dynamically load libraries. For example, if I add
location of the libgpgme-11.dll to the PATH
it can find it. The problem is that it statically loads all functions
and thus even compiled with gpgme 1.1.6 it
fails against gpg4win 1.1.3 with an error message that
"gpgme_conf_arg_new" function is not found. I guess
what you are suggesting is dynamic load of functions as well which is a
bit trickier.

I wonder if that's only the Python wrapper problem. If wrappers for all
languages should use such dynamic
depending on where gpg4win installs
it wouldn't it be more efficient for Gpgme to provide a static library
which does all this? On the other hand, it
may fall into the "official development packages" category which you do
not offer...

In any case, thanks for the help. I've built it with 1.1.6 for now and
included DLLs as well.

I'll try to see if my wrapper builder can build such proxy library on
the way as well. But, most probably only for
the next release of PyMe.

Cheers,
Igor