[Gpg4win-devel] Claws Mail status

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Oct 6 12:30:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:23, marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de said:

> non-empty string is provided with --version-suffix.  That
> version-suffix can be appended to the version string.  Then the files

Right, I forgot about this.

> We can not enforce the filenames that other people use.  Thus, the

No we can't but it is common practise to change the version num,ber.
Some free software licenses even require that (though not the GPL).

> software was provided.  Look at the following packages in Ubuntu.  All
> these have gpg --version: gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.6:
>
> gnupg (1.4.6-2ubuntu5) hardy; urgency=low

But with an ubuntu prefix.

>> Thus, I consider it important to have distinguishable installer names.
>
> I think we are addressing different problems.  We can have different
> names for different installers and still have authoritative versions

Yes we had private discussions on this in the past and decided to
postpone it until it is really needed.  The --version-suffix option
should be good for now.

> Although all this is really overkill.  If somebody uses a -svnXYZ
> version, we already know it is not an official release, and have to

Right, I took this just as an example.  Hwoever, while -svNNNN means
omething for hackers, most users have no clue what this is and won't
identify it as a beta version.  Maybe we should change the string from
-svnNNNn to -beta_NNNN because Beta is a term Windows users may have
come across in their life.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--