[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 2.2.0 released

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sun Aug 25 13:49:47 CEST 2013

Am Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:53:22 +0200
schrieb Emanuel Schütze <emanuel.schuetze at intevation.de>:

> Hello,
>
> we are pleased to announce the availability of the new stable Gpg4win
> version 2.2.0.
>
> The download is available via the usual download page:
>
>         http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html
>
> Gpg4win 2.2.0 updates GpgOL for Outlook 2010/2013, includes a new
> GpgEX which now works on Windows 64 bit and includes a lot of more
> improvements and bug fixes (see below).
>
> Hints for users of Outlook 2010/2013:
> GpgOL now supports Outlook 2010 and 2013 but uses a makeshift format.
> The full crypto support with MIME is with Outlook technically far too
> complex. For Outlook 2003 and 2007 GpgOL uses the standard MIME
> format for crypto emails but with restrictions. For versions from
> Outlook 2010 GpgOL was newly developed and uses no MIME for the mail
> body. Signature and encryption are insert directly in the mail body.
> Especially for signing we propose a new format: "double no-mime". For
> details see wiki [1]. Some potentially usability issues of this GpgOL
> version are known. You can help us to find out if other email clients
> can handle with the "double no-mime" format.
> The best solution is a full PGP/MIME support for GpgOL. Therefore we
> searching for financing.
>
> This software release incoporated work that was funded by a Small
> Technology Grant of the Information Security Coalition [2].
>
> We thank very much all Gpg4win donors who financially supported the
> Gpg4win initiative. Please note that Gpg4win needs your support also
> in future. Please help the Gpg4win initiative. 100% of your donation
> goes into the maintenance and development of Gpg4win. You like
> Gpg4win? Then donate here, please: http://www.gpg4win.org/donate.html
> Thank you!
>
> More details about Gpg4win 2.2.0 in the README:
> http://files.gpg4win.org/README-2.2.0.en.txt
>

> New in Gpg4win Version 2.2.0 (2013-08-21)
> - GpgEx:
>   * Now with Windows 64 bit support!
>
> - GpgOL:
>   * Rudimentary support for Outlook 2010 and 2013.
>     The following crypto functions are already available via the new
>     GpgOL ribbon rsp. Outlook's context menu (no MIME parsing, yet):
>     - Saving and decrypting attachments
>     - Attaching and encrypting files
>     - Encrypting/decrypting mail bodys
>     - Signing and signature verification (signing using a new format
> variant called "double no-mime")
>   * GpgOL for Outlook 2003 and 2007 is unaffected by these changes.
>
> - Kleopatra:
>   * Kleopatra no longer crashes when started by a regular user on
>     terminal servers (Windows Server).
>   * Kleopatra now allows it to generate keys with a size up to 4096
> bit.
>   * Extracting a tarball through the Kleopatra GUI now works reliable
>
> - Pinentry:
>   * Pinentry now allows to paste in the passphrase.
>
> - GnuPG-Backend:
>   * Gpg-agent may now be used as Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent)
> [...]

Meanwhile I can give first feedback on the new Gpg4win version:

- Gpg4win 2.2.0 full installation is working so far without problems.
  I've tested it with Thunderbird/Enigmail 17.0.8/1.5.2 , GNU
  Emacs/Gnus 24.3.1/Ma Gnus 0.6 and Claws Mail 3.9.2-55-g74b05b
  (installed from Claws Mail site). My operating system is Windows 7
  Pro DE SP1 x86_64.

- However, I'm struggling with the new caching feature of gpg-agent
  for SSH keys. If I got it right, it should be able to cache
  passphrases for PuTTY private keys out of the box. As I am using
  public key authentication with SSH whenever possible, it would be
  nice to use this new feature the same way as under Linux. Currently,
  however, there seems to be no PuTTY-gpg-agent interaction at all.
  Under Linux I added "enable-ssh-support" to gpg-agent.conf. Is there a
  comparable option necessary with Gpg4win 2.2.0? I roughly remembered
  option "enable-putty-support" and even tested it but immediately
  obtained an "invalid option" error from gpg-agent. My current PuTTY
  version is 0.63.

- Initially I started to go with Gpg4win-Vanilla 2.2.0. Installation
  went fine but Claws Mail (installed separately from Claws site) did
  not work any more. Detailed German error message is:
  "Gpgme Protokoll 'OpenPGP' ist nicht nutzbar. Treiber 'C:\Program
  Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\gpg2.exe' ist nicht richtig installiert.'
  As I need gpg I immediately uninstalled Vanilla version and proceeded
  with full installation of Gpg4win.

- Portable mode: Currently I've not tested it at all, because I'm
  still waiting for feedback on my latest questions on it. I'll try to
  ask the questions more detailed again:
  Prerequiste:
  I have a running full installation of Gpg4win on my machine without
  outdated shipped Claws Mail. On top there is a Claws Mail
  installation from
  http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/claws-mail-3.9.2git55-pkg43.exe.
  Target:
  I want a portable installation on my USB stick attached to
  the same machine.
  Procedure (assumed, please correct my):
  Install Gpg4win 2.2.0 again but with target dir
  <usb_stick_drive>:\<target_dir> and subsequently run "mkportable.exe
  <target_dir>".
  Questions:
  Will my non-portable installation still be usable? From
  bad experiences with other software under Windows I suppose some
  registry entries might point to USB stick and make my
  non-portable installation unusable. To be on the save side I could of
  course make the portable installation on a separate machine with no
  Gpg4win installed yet. But that's very inconvenient. Another
  workaround would be to repeat the installation after creation of the
  portable installation - inconvenient too. That's why it would be
  helpful to know what mkportable.exe is really doing.

- Generally, it would be desirable, that the latest Gpg4win includes
  latest Claws Mail release. Gpg4win 2.2.0 says: Claws Mail 3.9.1 while
  Claws Mail 3.9.2 (even for Windows) is out now for quite a long time.

Regards,
Peter