[Gpg4win-devel] signature in body: no-mime and new "double no-mime"

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Mon Aug 26 14:58:13 CEST 2013

Am Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:38:09 +0200
schrieb Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> On Sunday 25 August 2013 at 14:33:43, Dr. Peter Voigt wrote:
> > Thanks, Bernhard, for details on this interesting topic. Even if
> > there has not yet been much feedback on this, I ask you to keep the
> > list informed on it.
>
> There is a new entry in
>   http://wiki.gnupg.org/SignatureHandling
> which we propose for us all to keep current.

Yeah, thanks, forgot about the existence of this wiki.

> > Just recently, e.g. one week ago, I had problems with some
> > communication partners using Outlook 2010 with Gpg4win. Their
> > signed or enrypted messages procuded all kinds of problems
> > including scrambled and unreadable messages.
>
> Can you get us example emails or screenshots how they display them?
Unfortunately not. As explained below I finally decided to delete them
due to the described problems. May be I can convince one of the
communication partners to use Outlook for this purpose once again :-)

> > Claws Mail under Windows even crashed sometimes so
> > that I finally decided to delete the messages. I could convince
> > them to use Thunderbird which immediately solved all problems.
>
> It is very cool that you have convonced them to use to a Free Software
> instead of Outlook. However we are motivated to keep crypto emails
> in a standard so we are compatible with many communication partners.

It was just a few days before your mail about new planed "double
no-mime" standard. On the other hand the encrypted messages were
scrambled and not readable - if I remember correctly.

> > Unfortunately, I cannot finally give any wishes or recommendations
> > on this new format because I have no Outlook client available. On
> > the other side it would be helpful, if you could provide at least
> > two test messages that I will read with my different mail clients:
> >
> > - One signed message only.
> > - One signed and encrpyted message.
>
> Some example messages are at
> http://wiki.gnupg.org/MailClients/Screenshots
Well, thanks for this link. Unfortunately, I could not find any Outlook
example with an "double no-mime" signed message. Instead I see a new
term - at least new to me - called "opaque signed".

> > I'm not sure from your posting, if
> >   the new "double no-mime signature" refers to signed only messages
> >   only or if it applies to encrypted messages as well.
>
> Only to the signature part, see the wiki page and please improve it,
> if it is not clear enough. You could encrypt this part afterwards.
>
> > Best would be, of course, if Outlook will support PGP/MIME in the
> > nearest future :-).
>
> Yes, this would be the best solution. However it is a lot of work
> (which we've reported on this list over the last years) and we do not
> even know for sure that it can be implemented given Outlook's current
> interface. So we would need enough funding to start this work.
> (The Informsec2013 funding now comes to an end as you can see from
> the planning at http://wiki.gnupg.org/Informsec2013 and it was not
> not enough to try the PGP/MIME block.)
Well, it is not clear to me which part of non-standard conformity is
related to the mail client itself and which part has to do with the way
of gpg plugin implementation. Now I conclude, you could provide an
Outlook plugin fully supporting PGP/MIME if only you have time and
financial support. And I know now that you are still planing to go
further into that direction.

> Best Regards,
> Bernhard

Regards,