[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 2.2.0 released

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Mon Aug 26 15:39:43 CEST 2013

Am Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:49:36 +0200
schrieb Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:49, pvoigt at uos.de said:
> > - However, I'm struggling with the new caching feature of gpg-agent
> >   for SSH keys. If I got it right, it should be able to cache
>
> Actually this is not a caching feature but gpg-agent/ssh-agent/pagenat
> are used to create the signatures required by the ssh protocol.
Well, to be honest, this is not clear to me. Till now I've been
thinking that gpg-agent/ssh-agent/gpg-agent are storing the
passphrases for the corresponding private keys for a given period of
time. Could you please briefly explain what signature you mean? Is my
understanding completely wrong or just, let me say, incomplete?

>   enable-putty-support
>
> into gpg-agent.conf and restart gpg-agent.  Also make sure that at
> this time pagenant has not yet been started.  To start gpg-agent you
> may use any crypto operation or run "gpg-connect-agent /bye".
Well, have done this part.

> >   obtained an "invalid option" error from gpg-agent. My current
> > PuTTY version is 0.63.
>
> Probably a typo in your config file.  Check out the backend prefernces
> configuration pages in gpa or Kleopatra; You will find a checkbox
> labeled "enable putty support" under the gpg-agent tab.
Well, I checked this part from Kleopatra. My correpsonding option under
a German localized Kleopatra seems to be "Die Pageant Komponente
anschalten". It is checked and seems OK. But PuTTY still ignores the
running gpg-agent. I allways have to enter the passphrase in the PuTTY
passhrase dialog and there is no expected pinentry dialog showing up.
Did I get something wrong?

> >   As I need gpg I immediately uninstalled Vanilla version and
> > proceeded with full installation of Gpg4win.
>
> Which includes a full claws version - I am not sure whether all our
> patches made it into upstream claws.
>
> >   outdated shipped Claws Mail. On top there is a Claws Mail
> >   installation from
> >   http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/claws-mail-3.9.2git55-pkg43.exe.
>
> You better go with our version.  Installing a second (unstable one)
> one may result into problems.
I've not been aware that the version from Claws site is an unstable
one. Will uninstall it and go with the Gpg4win shipped version instead.

>    cd c:\Program files(x86)\GNU\GnuPG
>    mkportable  --light <usb_stick_drive>:\<target_dir>
>
> Or use --full if you want the full installation.
>
> >   bad experiences with other software under Windows I suppose some
> >   registry entries might point to USB stick and make my
>
> GnuPG won't access the registry at all - existing registry entries are
> ignore by the portable version.  GnuPG switches itself into portable
> mode if a file name "gpgconf.ctl" exists in the same directory of
> "gpgconf.exe".
>
> >   portable installation - inconvenient too. That's why it would be
> >   helpful to know what mkportable.exe is really doing.
>
> It merely copies all required file and creates a two configuraion
> files (gpgconf.ctl and one for Kleopatra).
Yep, that finally clarifies portable mode to me - thank you for your
explanations: The regular installation is used as a basis for a
portable installation leaving the regular installation untouched. Maybe
it's worth to be mentioned on the Gpg4win page. If it's already
mentioned elsewhere I simply did not see it. And: Maybe I simply
thought too complicated and into the wrong direction.

> We can't always do that.  It took me quite some time to get 3.9.1
> ready for the new toolchain.  Also, don't have the time to keep up
> with the latest Claws development.  It is a bit unfortunate that
> Colin once decided to create a separate installer.  On the other hand
> I can understand this due to the long delays in gpg4win development.
> Hopefully we can eventually merge them again.

Yes, I hope development of Claws Mail and Gpg4win will synchronize in
the near future again.

> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

Regards,