[Gpg4win-devel] PuTTY passphrase caching not working with Gpg4win 2.2.0

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Aug 28 10:09:16 CEST 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:04, pvoigt at uos.de said:
> Well, mentioned it already in my last repsonse to the 2.2.0
> announcement: I'm unable to make gpg-agent offer me PuTTY passhrase
> caching. I've been observing this with Gpg4win 2.2.0 full installation

There is no passphrase caching.  Pageant as well as gpg-agent run the
authentication part of the ssh protocol.  ssh works with a
Diffie-Hellmann key exchange which is entirely done in putty/ssh but the
user authentication for that connection is delegated to
pagenant/gpg-agent.

> "enable-putty-support" in gpg.conf is obviously ignored. Is this

If pageant is started before gpg-agent this will indeed be the case.
However, I assume that your problem is how to get the keys into
gpg-agent.  With ssh you run "ssh-add" to transfer the keys to
ssh-agent/gpg-agent; I am not sure who this is done in Putty.  However,
the core ssh-agent protocol is used by ssh and putty and thus everything
pageant does can be done by gpg-agent.  I did my tests using a
smartcard.  A smartcard is special in that its key is instantly
available and does not need a "ssh-add" or a manual entry in gnupg's
sshcontrol file.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner