[Gpg4win-devel] [Gpg4win-users-en] Looking for ideas how to improve Gpg4win

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Aug 30 15:27:39 CEST 2013

Hi,

I've recieved a reply with some good suggestions off list. You can find the
original message attached.

At Friday 30 August 2013 13:12:26 Alex C. J. Neroth van Vogelpoel wrote:
> 1.  Most importantly, in the "For whom do you want to encrypt?" dialog,
> one's own certificate should automatically appear in the bottom list.
> (I do have my Key-ID entered, in the Kleopatra configuration, under
> "Encrypt to user ID NAME as well", but that has never made a different
> to me.  I have the same Key-ID listed under "Use NAME as default secret
> key", and that always works, so I've never understood why "Encrypt to
> user ID NAME as well" doesn't work.)  It's inconvenient to need to add
> one's own certificate, in addition to the certificate of the recipient,
> every time.  And it's dangerous, because if one forgets to add one's won
> certificate, the encrypted file is inaccessible to oneself.

Right.

> 2.  When encrypting or when encrypting and signing, would it be possible
> to somehow combine the three steps ("What do you want to do?", "For whom
> do you want to encrypt?", and "Who do you want to sign as?"), in order
> to reduce the time and clicks it takes to perform the operation?

Yes that should be possible, I belive the current implementation is mainly due
to the fact that the dialogs can be reused. But we actually have a command
already that should cause our UI to open an encryption dialog with integrated
sign option.

I'm not sure about the "What do you want to do?" Question though, we have to
be careful not to add too much "clutter" in such a dialog but maybe we could
hide some options behind an "advanced" button or so.

> 3.  When decrypting, would it be possible to move the options that are
> in the dialog that opens, to somewhere else (e.g., general preferences)?
>  I mean, the "Create all output files in a single folder" could be set
> in the preferences, and the "Input file is a detached signature" and
> "Input file is an archive; unpack with" could perhaps be detected by the
> program itself?  In my ideal world, I double click on an encrypted file
> (which means *.gpg has to have the right file association), the pinentry
> dialog opens, I enter my pin, and hit enter, and all is done.
> Currently, the dialog box that opens is an extra step in which I never
> change any of the options.

Yes I think there could be something like " [x] Save this options for future
operations"

Which you could activate and afterwards you would have to go to the settings
to change that behavior.

> 4.  Lastly, when I right-click on a file in explorer and select "Sign
> and encrypt", a Kleopatra dialog opens up, but "Sign and encrypt" is not
> automatically selected, so I have to click there.  Since I already
> selected "sign and encrypt" before (rather than just "encrypt" -- which
> is the default selection in the dialog), "sign and encrypt" should be
> automatically selected in the dialog, to save me an extra click.

Yep thats actually a bug in kleo, it already gets told sign and encrypt and it
just ignores it. I thin GPA handles this better.

> It occurs to me that none of these wishlist items are actually gpg4win
> items, but more broadly gpg or kleopatra.  If they're not something you
> deal with specifically, could you please forward them to the right person?

No this is exactly the kind of input we were looking for. Of course they are
mostly Kleopatra issues but if we want those things in Gpg4win we have to
implement them ;)

Regards,
Andre

--