[Gpg4win-devel] Putty and ECDSA support for gpg-agent in 2.0

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 5 11:30:18 CEST 2013

On Fri,  5 Jul 2013 10:41, bernhard at intevation.de said:

>> - The same is done under Unix for ssh
>
> Same question. :)

Same answer.  I consider it hostile to hijack the communication between
ssh and its ssh-agent.  We ain't no gnomes [1].

> We don't do this for putty support because pageant would
> stop working for some users. How many people use pageant or have it installed?

Virtually everyone.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] gnome-keyring hijacks the communcation between gpg and gpg-agent.
    It tries to proxy some stuff but that is mostly broken.  For some
    years now we get reports that gpg2 is not working and after a closer
    inspection we always see that gnome-keyring is the culprit.  It is
    possible to switch this misfeature off but that is not the default.