[Gpg4win-devel] Plans for GnuPG 2.1 integration

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Aug 28 11:34:49 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've branched the Gpg4win 2.x release series and started in master to work on
a Gpg4win version that will eventually become 3.0

This version will then also include GnuPG 2.1

After some discussion with Werner we've also decided to change how we
integrate GnuPG.

We are planning to no longer build / patch GnuPG as part of the Gpg4win build
process. Instead we want to integrate the "official" binary installer thats also
available on gnupg.org.
Gpg4win will package that installer and use it to install / update gnupg on
the system as part of the installation procedure.

The idea behind this is that there will be only one "official" version of gnupg
for windows and we only have one place of maintenance for this and thats
directly in the gnupg repository.

While we lose the ability to backport fixes / patch things we find in QA it will
mean that we have to put more effort into getting our patches upstream and
getting fixed packages released.

Splitting the packages also makes ist easier to update as building an updated
windows binary package can become part of the gnupg release process and we
will then only have minimal work to do to update gpg4win to include that
version. While users are even free to install an updated gnupg directly.

Gpg4win will then be the package that provides Windows integration apart from
the command line (GUIs / Plugins) and the documentation.

I'm still a bit undecided what the best way to restructure our "Variants" is
going to be then. The vanilla package will be pretty much obsolete as it would
just wrap the gnupg-w32 installer.

The only reason I could think to keep the Vanilla package would be if we were
to add a nicer pinentry (Qt or GTK) but this would not be much smaller then
the Vanilla package as the need to ship a GUI library remains.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/