[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 3.0.0beta187: Outlook 2013 crashes while sending encrypted email

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Oct 21 13:58:35 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Friday 07 October 2016 14:51:11 rpr // wrote:
> On 6 October 2016 at 15:20, Andre Heinecke <aheinecke at intevation.de> wrote:
> > How often does the crash happen to you?
>
> It happens always.

I looked more into this issue over the last weeks. It appears to be a timing
issue. I can reproduce it I add a delay in GpgOL before sending the encrypted
mail, then It crashes for me, too.

To explain a bit what happens when we encrypt:
Outlook basically has two data layers, the Outlook Object Model and MAPI. And
the plugin API is event driven.

The old 2003-2007 plugin worked mostly on MAPI. I'm changing this currently to
be more and more on OOM because that gives better control over Outlook.

What we do when a send event comes in is basically:
- Cancel the send even (beause it's OOM Only)
- Save the message (so that the data is put into MAPI)
- Encrypt the MAPI strutctures
- Call Send again.
--> This triggers some other events, and finally unloads the message when the
message window is closed.
- After the message is unloaded and GpgOL is completely detached from the
message -> Outlook crashes. :-/

Somehow we are apprently messing with it's internal state too much. (Or we
have a refcounting error I have not yet found.) If I insert a delay after
encryption before we call send I can reproduce the crash.

My planned fix, on which I'm working on in the nomapi branch, for this is to
encrypt directly in the send event. But this requires some code refactoring as
our internal code is bound to the MAPI structures this will greatly reduce the
complexty when sending.

I'll send you a mail once I have something testable.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/