[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win 1.1.1 questions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 16 16:46:27 CEST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 01:22, Jørgen Christiansen Lysdal wrote:
> Just got gpg4win 1.1.1 and installed gpg 1.4.7, 2.0.5 and Claws Mail.
> I cant start Claws Mail, nothing happens when i try to start it. Tried
> installing gtk+, but it did not help(looks like it already installed
> what it needed) any suggestions what i can do to start it?

Try to start it on a command line and note the possible messages.

> Okay, gpg4win comes with gpg-agent, i got it startet, and from what i
> can understand it can cache my passphrase? how does this work?

If the option "use-agent" is active, gpg-agent will be asked
to get the passphrase from the other components.
Next time it is asked the same one, it will used the cached one.
The time is configurable.

> I was playing around with gpgsm, i could not really get it working, i
> think? I was trying to create a self-signed certificate for later use in
> thunderbird (is this possible?).

You would need to do your own little CA.
I am not aware of easy instructions to do so with gpgsm.

> What i think i ended up with, is the
> keypair, and a certificate request. Are there any documentation for
> gpgsm somewhere, that i could read?

There is a bit technical documentation coming with gnupg2.
An HTML copy can be found here:
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/
Check out the gpgsm section.