[Gpg4win-users-en] MFT and Reply-to rants (was: Problem with extra hyphen)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 8 19:52:57 CEST 2007

On Fri,  8 Jun 2007 17:30, gordol at gordol.org said:

>> That is how all mailing lists should be; it is a privacy feature.  Good
>
> If it's a privacy feature, shouldn't it go to the list instead of the
> poster?

If in doubt it is better to send just one mail to the sender and not to
send thousands of mails to the subscribers of the ML.  It is only a
litte work for those who intend to reply but far more disturbing for the
subscribers.

With privacy I meant that in case someone wants to start a flame war or
send private infor (e.g. log files) it is better to first try that by
PM.

> No, that's backwards.  Good mail clients will respond to the address
> the mail says to respond to.  Better mail clients will let the user

That need to take the Mail-Followup-To (MFT) header into account and
most important set this header when send the first mail.  It is not
possible to add the MFT in any later reply and thus you will see that
mails from me have a CC, whereas there is no such CC if I post the first
message or follow up on someone who has used MFT properly.

Obviously the MUA needs to have a way to figure out when to send
something to a subscribed ML - the usual way to handle this is by
keeping a list of all subscribed list (this can be automated by
processing the monthly reminders many ML software send)

Regarding support for list-prely: Gnus has it, Mutt has it, Kmail has it
and probably many more.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner