[Gpg4win-users-en] Problem with gpgme in gpg4win 1.1.3

Igor Belyi gpgme at katehok.ac93.org
Wed Apr 2 18:27:33 CEST 2008

The problem shows up when a different than default directory is selected
during gpg4win 1.1.3 install. It manifests itself when gpa.exe is
started and fails to find the engine. It is caused by mismatch between
gpg4win using newer approach of registering "Install Directory" and
"gpgProgram" strings in "HKLM\Software\GNU\GnuPG\" key and GPGME relying
on either "HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG\gpgProgram" (note the HKCU vs HKLM)
or on the program being in the default location. There's a note in the
"src/inst-gnupg.nsi" that relying on "gpgProgram" key is an old style
and sure enough the newer version of GPGME (although also 1.1.6) does
uses the "Install Directory" to find all the necessary gpg.exe,
gpgsm.exe, and gpgconf.exe.

On related note, the new GPGME still checks for gpgProgram in HKCU and
not HKLM rooted location. On my machine I noticed that there was entry
in there which looks like left-over from some previous installation and
(as expected) it is not removed by the newer version of gpg4win on
install/uninstall. This caused even newer GPGME to assume a wrong
location for gpg.exe. I removed that registry value on my machine but I
suspect other users may run into similar problem.

Hope it help.
Cheers,
Igor