[Gpg4win-users-en] GPG4Win 1.9.[89], Outlook 200[37], Vista - not quite working

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Nov 3 15:11:16 CET 2008

Rob,

On Freitag, 31. Oktober 2008, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> Background: I've been using GPG4Win 1.1.x for a while now without
> problems under Outlook 2003 on Vista (and XP before).  1.1.3 still
> works just fine, but I thought I'd test the new betas

thanks for helping, this testing is highly appreciated!
With the numbers of windows and outlook variants out there,
only testers like you can help us to find all possible problems.

> I upgraded to 1.9.8 (removing registry keys as documented) with 2003
> and found I couldn't sign or encrypt anything, but a quick look at the
> list archive showed that others had seen this with 2003.  I decided to
> use this as an opportunity (hah) to switch to Outlook 2007 since I've
> been putting that off for far too long now.  I de-installed 1.9.8 and
> Outlook 2003, rebooted, installed Outlook 2007 and then GPG4Win 1.9.8.
>  The basic functions seemed to work,

Okay, this means you could sign and encrypt with Outlook 2007 and Gpg4win
1.9.8, which is good. I have no idea why it did not work with Outlook 2003.
Can you give us more information about the precise version number?
Are you using this standalone or with a server, which one?

>  but I could no longer access any
> mail in secondary mailboxes ("Cannot open this item.  You do not have
> sufficient permission...").

What kind of secondary mailboxes in particular? Additional .psts?

> Noticing that 1.9.9 was out I
> de-installed 1.9.8, rebooted and installed 1.9.9 - same problem.

Okay, so 1.9.8 and 1.9.9 behaviour is consistant for your problem.
Did you try enabling S/mime? We had a defect in this area that it
might need to be enabled though you would want to use OpenPGP recently.

> A quick downgrade (and reboot) to 1.1.3 and everything works as
> expected.

Note, btw, that gpg4win 1 cannot deal with PGP/MIME message
and gpg4win 2 can, so the newer versions will always try to

> Am I the first to try this setup?

Outlook 2003 + 1.9.8 and 1.9.9, we are testing this.

> Is there anything I can do to help
> identify the problem, keeping in mind that I can't spend all day doing
> a de-install, re-install, de-install, re-install cycle - I have to get
> some work done or the boss will complain ;)

Make sure you are _not_ using word to write the email text.
Disable HTML for the tests.

Try to enable to logging facilities, (in German currently, sorry):
http://gpg4win.de/handbuecher/fehler-in-den-gpg4win-programmen-aufspueren.html
Short version:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\GpgOL
set
enableDebug to 1  (later higher)
logFile  to something like c:\gpg4winlog.txt

Best,

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)