[Gpg4win-users-en] reply-to "mangling" (was: Release planning (2.0.0rc1 and 2.0.0))

Privateofcourse sub.gpg4win at privateofcourse.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 20:09:33 CEST 2009

Hello Paul,

This is what you said on Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:50:17 +0100 your time:

> It may help others on this list, (with not-so-good email applications)

Well, I know this is going even more OT, but with all due respect, that's a
rather harsh judgement to make, and one I don't particularly agree with.

Not in any respect would I consider the email client (RITLabs's The Bat!)
I've used for many years to be a "not-so-good email application" simply
because of the absence of a few specific menu entries, or keyboard
functions. I've never been thwarted by any lists' practises using it.

That rant aside, the Reply-to munging argument has raged on ad nauseam, and
there is still not, IMO, any overwhelming consensus as to the evil of the
practise, no matter how many 'considered harmful' claims are bandied around.

Personally I think munging the Reply-to would be helpful and not harmful to
people, and of the many, many lists I've belonged to in the past - and the
ones I still belong to - a significant number do it.

I'm not exactly concerned which direction is taken here as I do have a very
good email client that can accommodate any list's foibles, but I do think
the issue is one of making it easier for people to use the list at the end
of the day and not whether someone's email client is up to muster or not...

--
Simon (Privateofcourse)
#21248. Sow Grew On Hied? ¶