[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win cant input the phassphrase

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 16 13:31:32 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2009 04:07:44 schrieb Dongsheng Song:
> 1. pinentry-w32.exe dead silently.
> C:\opt\GnuPG2>pinentry-w32.exe
>
> C:\opt\GnuPG2>
>
> 2. pinentry-gtk-2.exe can NOT enter passphrases.
> C:\opt\GnuPG2>pinentry-gtk-2.exe
> Please note that you don't have secure memory on this system
> OK Your orders please
> GETPIN
>
> (pinentry-gtk-2.exe:6016): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font,
> expect ugl y output. engine-type='PangoRenderWin32', script='common'
>
> (pinentry-gtk-2.exe:6016): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font,
> expect ugl y output. engine-type='PangoRenderWin32', script='han'
> OK
> GETPIN
> ERR 83886179 canceled

Yes, this seems to be the defect.

> 3. pinentry-qt4.exe can enter passphrases.
> C:\opt\GnuPG2>pinentry-qt4.exe
> Please note that you don't have secure memory on this system
> OK Your orders please
> GETPIN
> D testpwd
> OK

Ah, good, please use pinentry-qt4 then!

> So how can I use pinentry-qt4.exe ?

Two methods:
Copy pinentry.exe over or use the right gpg-agent.conf as you did
in your other email.

> How can I got secure memory on my system ?

I think you cannot. This is a property of the operating system.
Background: GnuPG runs on several operating systems. Secure memory usually
means that the memory will not get swapped to disc and maybe is harder to
read by other processes, I am not entirely sure.
GnuPG will have to pull some tricks to make this possible, usually.
So currently I believe this is not possible on windows. If we knew the right
tricks, maybe it will be in the future. Note that the windows platform has
other security issues, so fixing this particular issue might not help much.

Just ignore this warning for now.

Best Regards,