[Gpg4win-users-en] 64-bit version of GpgEX

Alex C. J. Neroth van Vogelpoel alexnvv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:50:33 CEST 2010

Hello!

First of all, a big thank you to everyone involved in creating
Gpg4win! It's a great product, and I really appreciate all the work
put into it.

I already posted this message in the open-discussion web forum at
http://wald.intevation.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=791&forum_id=20
(scroll to the bottom), but I received no relevant replies, so I am
also posting here in the hopes that this will generate more responses.
 I apologize for repeating my post.

Would it be possible to create a 64-bit version of GpgEX? I realize
that this has been asked before, with a negative answer. (See
http://lists.wald.intevation.org/pipermail/gpg4win-users-en/2008-November/000228.html
and the subsequent messages in the thread.) However, as the number of
users with 64-bit versions of Windows steadily increases, the
usefulness of a 64-bit version of GpgEX increases as well.

I understand that there is a workaround, listed in the README.
However, running "C:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate" in the
released version of Windows 7 x64 does not work, and there seem to be
no intentions to fix this bug. (This is a bug with Windows 7, not with
GpgEX. For more info, see
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/e237260d-ca42-4fbc-a657-89796d884715
.) Because of this, the workaround does not work for many users of
Gpg4win. (And, even when it does work, it is still somewhat unwieldy.)

So, would it be possible to create a 64-bit version of GpgEX? The
shell extension is very handy, and it is a shame to be unable to use
it in the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I am not a programmer, and so I
apologize if this is a difficult request to fulfill. Thank you,
however, for considering it!

Peace,
Alex NvV