[Gpg4win-users-en] How to edit gpg.conf?

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 15:54:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am a MacOSX user, my interest in gpg4win is to acquire a "reasonable"
knowledge of the use of GnuPG under Windows.

I am running gpg4win 2.1.0, under Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on an
Acer Desktop AspireRevo.

Whenever I try to encrypt an e-mail, I get an error message indicating
that there is no public key for 'self'. I am using Thunderbird 3.1.9 +
Enigmail 1.1.2.

I can guess two possible solutions:

Edit gpg.conf in order to comment (disable) the option 'self' or
'default-recipient-self'. That would be counter productive, because I
wouldn't be able to decrypt outgoing e-mails that will be encrypted only
to the recipient(s) public key(s).

Edit gpg.conf in order to enable an option that would set:
default-key (long ID I suppose) *and* enable default-recipient-self

Whichever solution is better, my problem is that I have no knowledge how
to open and edit gpg.conf in gpg4win.

I apologize for bothering the list with basic questions. Thanks in advance.
Charly