[Gpg4win-users-en] How to remove passphrase from GPG key?

Jay Sullivan notfed at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 19:25:38 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:33, notfed at gmail.com said:
>
> > impossible.  I have come to the conclusion that I have one of two
> choices:
> > (1) seed the agent ahead of time with gpg-preset-passphrase, or (2) don't
> > use a passphrase.
>
> (2) is what I would suggest.  A passphrase does not make sense if you
> would read it from some other file in the clear.

Right, I 100% agree, although I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate
that until they've seen all the hoops one has to go through to feed a
passphrase in from an automated environment.  People also tend to reuse
passphrases (although "they shouldn't", it happens in practice) which means
it might open up even more holes if it is being passed around in the clear
and someone steals it.

> > I've attempted to use gpg-preset-passphrase, and I run into errors
> (“problem
> > with the agent” +  “caching passphrase failed: Invalid response”). Not
> being
>
> gpg-preset-passphrase is a bit tricky to use.  There might even be a bug
> in the version which come with the current Gpg4win.

I think there very likely is a bug here, unless I'm doing something
blatantly wrong (also very likely).

> > How do I remove a passphrase from a Gpg4Win key? Is there a way to do
> this
> > from Kleopatra?  If I must do it from the command line, where are the
> keys
>
> Sure.  There is an option to change the passphrase; enter an empty
> string for the new passphrase and confirm that you really don;t need a
> passphrase.  If there is a problem with Kleopatra you may use gpa
> instead or open a shell and use
>
>        gpg --passwd YOURUSERID

Hey, thanks.  This is even easier than what Lee (cc'd) recommended!

And yeah, Kleopatra doesn't let me do a blank password.  I get "An error
occured while trying to change the passphrase for (me): Not Supported" when
I try to use a blank passphrase for kleopatra.     Lame.

--
Jay Sullivan