[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win w/ Outlook 2010?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Dec 21 12:49:32 CET 2011

Hello Friends of Gpg4win,

just a few heads-up:

Am Tuesday, 16. August 2011 12:50:59 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> current versions of Gpg4win - e.g. 2.1.0 - do not work with Outlook 2010!
>
> There is a small hint on http://gpg4win.de/about.html
> in the system requirements, which is too easy to miss. To be more precise:
> it is the Outlook "plugin" GpgOL that does not work with Outlook 2010.
>
> From the technical side Outlook 2010 is significantly different from its
> predecessors, so GpgOL's way of hooking into the system - especially for
> the MIME handling - does not work satisfactory anymore. It it not yet known
> if a similiar approach or a new one or none will work with Outlook 2010.
>
> So when will Outlook 2010 be supported by GpgOL then?
>
> We cannot say if and when it will be supported.
> In a first step research is needed if it is possible to support
> proper MIME handling for OpenPGP and S/MIME with Outlook 2010
> and which method is reliable and doable.

We have found a more recently added or exposed function call /BeforeRead/
which may make it possible to hook into the right place of Outlook 2010. It
might not be sufficient, but it is a candidate for an evaluation.

> If it turns out that it is possible and feasable, the new product component
> would need to be implemented.
>
> Both steps require significant efforts which the Gpg4win developers would
> need to have funding for. This funding is not yet found.

There is a chance for some funding now, if this comes to pass,
we might start to evaluate this in the second quarter of 2012,
with potential results of the evaluation coming in for the sommer.
Again, this is not secured and might not lead to an implementation.
However, if we are lucky and it works out from the technical points of
view... :)

> Your help is highly appreciated, but keep in mind that a significant effort
> is needed. Small payments and small support volumes currently cannot
> provide funding for such an ambitions two step project.
>
> How can I help?
> Make Gpg4win more popular, is always good as it might help raise funds
> elsewhere or bring in helpers for other tasks.
>
> If you know an organisation that would be able to and possibly willing to
> fund research in the magnitude of 50 days, let us know.

Still all useful and needed.

> At a number of occasions, the German Federal Office for Information
> Security (BSI) has provided funding for past of versions of Gpg4win.
> This is very applaudable! All what is working now - which is a lot already
> - became possible because of this support.
> As a public, tax-payer funded organisation in Germany, the BSI of course
> depends on the willingness of politics and the decision structure in public
> administrations to invest in a certain area. If you get a chance to thank
> the BSI for the good job on Gpg4win so far, while politely pointing out
> that there is demand for Outlook 2010 or more development, this can be
> helpful. Especially if you are a public administration that officially can
> talk to BSI or superious administrations and your input leads is positive.
>
> https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Home/home_node.html
>
> Are there alternatives on windows?
> Yes, you could consider using a different email or groupware client for at
> least your crypto emails. E.g. using the IMAP access of your mailserver.
> It is a lot easier to support crypto email if the product is Free Software
> and thus the source code is availabe to see how it works and how it need to
> be changed.
>
> There are cost effective, well spread email clients for windows, as Free
> Software (Open Source): Like the shipped Claws, Thunderbird+Enigmail or the
> upcoming Kontact on Windows. (Disclosure: Many Gpg4win developers are also
> involved with Kontact and the Kolab Groupware.)
>
> http://www.thunderbird-mail.de/wiki/Enigmail_OpenPGP
> http://wiki.kolab.org/Kontact_for_Windows_(Enterprise-5) in development

Best Regards and a fine end of the year season,

Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member