[Gpg4win-users-en] How to get GnuPG using UTF-8 strings for attachment names

Mika Suomalainen mkaysi at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 15 16:47:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 12.06.2012 17:37, Alexander Strobel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when i send an attachment mit german umlauts in its name, they are
> not shown at the recipient. The umlauts are on the recipients side
> shown as questionmarks. The other way round it is not a problem.
> The umlauts are shown correctly. I am using Thunderbird 12 with
> OpenPGP/Enigmail 1.4.2 on Windows 7. The recipient is using
> Symantec PGP Desktop 10. (He is using Windows 7, too.)
>
> I did take a look with --list-packets at the attachments and found
> out, that Enigmail creates a filename "\xdcmlauts.txt" while PGP
> Desktops encodes it as "\xc3\x9cmlauts.txt" . A search on Google
> told me, that this probably has something to do with utf-8
> encoding, but I could not find any information about how to force
> utf-8 encoding when creating a mail in openPGP. Can someone show me
> how to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance Alex

I think that Enigmail takes charset from Thunderbird. It can be set in
Edit --> Preferences --> Display --> Formatting --> Advanced and set
"Outgoing Mail" and "Incoming Mail" as "Unicode (UTF-8)" and check the
checkbox below ("When possible, use the default character encoding in
replies") and press "OK".

Now when you send emails, they should use UTF-8.

If you want, you can also tell GPG to use UTF-8 (when you use it
directly without Enigmail and Thunderbird) by adding "charset UTF-8"
to gpg.conf.

- --
[Mika Suomalainen](https://mkaysi.github.com/) ||

NOTICE! I am on mobile broadband with very limited time, so I cannot
read emails very much.
The best time to contact me is probably week ends when I have better
connectivity with good luck.

[gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
4DB53CFE82A46728](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt) ||
[Why do I sign my
emails?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html) ||
[Please don't send