[Gpg4win-users-en] 2 questions: Using a different folder for storing keys? And how to shred" files?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 22 14:16:25 CEST 2012

Hi Aram,

Am Montag 14 Mai 2012 21:31:40 schrieb Aram Falsafi:
> 1. Under the old PGP software, you could define your keyring to be in a
> directory other than "My documents" which is very convenient if you want
> to keep your personal files off of your work computer. :-) I looked
> around the different preferences and other options in the pulldown menus
> in both GPA and Kleopatra, and I didn't see any option for changing the
> directory where keyrings are stored.

you could set the home directory for the crypto backend.
From the docs:
`--homedir DIR'
     Set the name of the home directory to DIR. If this option is not
     used, the home directory defaults to `~/.gnupg'.  It is only
     recognized when given on the command line.  It also overrides any
     home directory stated through the environment variable `GNUPGHOME'
     or (on W32 systems) by means of the Registry entry
     HKCU\SOFTWARE\GNU\GNUPG:HOMEDIR.

> 2. The reviews mentioned the ability to shred files, but I don't see
> that anywhere. Is shredding not supported?

I believe "secure deletion" of regular files is outside the scope
of Gpg4win. Such an operation depends a lot of the filesystem, media and
operating system variants used.

> I have installed 2.1.0, although the compendium PDF file says 3.0. I
> assume that 3.0 is the version of the documentation?

Yes version 3 of the documentation corresponds to 2.1 of Gpg4win.
(Hopefully it says so.)

Best Regards,

Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member