[Gpg4win-users-en] GPG4Win and biometrics fingerprint?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 24 14:40:08 CEST 2013

Hi Pascal,

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 at 18:55:22, Pascal wrote:
> I use gpg4win with Thunderbird and Enigmail. Is possible to implement
> the biometric fingerprint reader to "unlock" the pin entry form?

the crypto engine of Gpg4win is called GnuPG,
so if you can do it with GnuPG it is very likely
that you can also it with Gpg4win.

So you'd probably should ask that question to
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/
as well.

I haven't heard about this working with Gpg4win, though. I doubt that using
the fingerprint is enough information to protect the secret key. So it would
lead to a daemon checking the fingerprint data against something.
The next step up for security would be a smartcard that holds the secret key
for your certificate.

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner