[Gpg4win-users-en] [GPG Agent + PuTTY] unable to use PuTTY + gpg-agent + Authentication subkey

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Thu Oct 24 19:19:40 CEST 2013

Am Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:49:42 +0200
schrieb Christophe Brocas <christophe.brocas at cnamts.fr>:

> Hello
>
> My goal : I would like to have a single key (and relative subkeys)
> for all my encryption/signature/authentication needs.
>
> Since I see that GnuPG 2.0.21+ agent can be used with PuTTY, I have
> installed gpg4win 2.2.1.
>
> 1. I have checked enable-putty-support item through GPA > backend
> preferences > GPG agent.
> 2. I have closed Pageant
> 3. I have launched the command : "gpg-connect-agent.exe" /bye which :
>    * launch gpg-connect-agent
>    * then launch gpg-agent.
>    * Finally, gpg-connect-agent terminates
>    * and it only remains gpg-agent.exe in the process list.
> 4. I launch a PuTTY session that requires first key authentication
> and then pwd in fall-back
> 5. No key connection used and fall-back to pwd.
>
> Same process but with Pageant loaded with a PuTTY key :
> 5. connection through key : OK
>
> I don't know why it fails :(
>
> On client side :
> * PuTTY has "Attempt authentication using Pageant" checked
>
> On server side :
> * I have append the output of the  "gpgkey2ssh <authentication subkey
> ID>" command to the .ssh/authorized_keys file
>
> If you can help me ...
>
> Note : no smartcard on the client side, just imported key through GPA.
>
> Bye
> Christophe

Hi Christophe,

my observations are exactly the same. I've posted this to the list in
the past besides others. Unfortunately, there has not yet been any
answer. As I'm currently more often working under Linux and FreeBSD
than under Windows I have almost forgotten this issue :-) But of course
I would really appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
Peter