[Gpg4win-users-en] Error when decrypting a file with kleopatra

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Wed Feb 19 10:30:14 CET 2014

Hi,

On Wednesday 19 February 2014 10:13:08 Fabian Nick wrote:
> Bernhard,
>
> thanks for the tip!
> The image can be found here: http://postimg.org/image/891i5a48n/

This is sadly a bad error message that also occurs in the case when you just
try to decrypt something that is not a gpg message. Your customer is probably
trying to decrypt the wrong file. (A file that is not encrypted)

This error message happens when gpg on the command line would tell you:
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: decrypt_message failed: Unknown system error

You could let him create a checksum over the file to verify that it is the
same. GpgEX offers that option. So he can right click and create a checksum
over the file and then right click the same file to decrypt it. You then can
compare those checksums to see if he really tries to decrypt the file you've
sent him.

> Regarding your suggestions:
>
> a) I've already opened the public key file he sent us and it looks ok.
> Opening the encrypted file we sent back to him just reveals some binary
> nonsense  b) I cannot decrypt the file since I don't have his private

With regards to b) You can try to decrypt it. It should show you "no secret
key" but this whould show you at least that it is a valid OpenPGP message.
(In which case the error should be different)

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262 |  http://www.intevation.de/