[Gpg4win-users-en] Copy-paste deactivated in Gpg4win 2.2.2

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 1 09:48:43 CEST 2014

Hi again,

On Monday 29 September 2014 at 22:18:25, PrivacyDefence wrote:
> Quote: “a) does the current pinentry-qt4 work for you, technically?”
>
> I think it works as intended. That is, I can type in the chosen password
> without any issues. But any sort of copy and paste is disabled

As intended, as far as I know, it should allow the pasting of passwords.
So you are saying it does not allow pasting, so there may be a defect
or you are using a different pinentry-qt4.

For analysis purposes: Can you try making sure that pinentry-qt4 is actually
used?

> Quote: “b) [...] So what is the default with your tutorial/Enigmail?”

> We currently recommend to install Gpg4win with all default
> setting except for one thing: We advocate to install “GnuPG” and nothing
> else. However, we have also tried to go 100% default and install ALL the
> components that are ticked off by default.

We do recommend installing GnuPG and Kleopatra at least because
for full functionality you need to have an UIserver. Some applications
use the recommended way of interacting with GnuPG which is gpgme and
uiserver. (I know that technical difficulties make it very hard for Enigmail
to switch to gpgme. Still if other applications want to make use of Gpg4win,
they need the uiserver, like Gpgex.)

> Note also that you can copy and paste your password when choosing it,
> not knowing that it will not work later on.

I wonder how this work.
Which application accepts the password? Is this Enigmail itself?
It should be the same pinentry variant that is used later, so this does not
make sense. If pinentry can do pasting, this supposetly is pinentry-qt4
and then it should work in the first case as well. Unless there is a different
component interfering.

> Quote: “c) Is allowing a password paste and copy a good idea?”
>
> I find it almost impossible to manage passwords in a secure way without
> the use of a password manager.

Let us postpone this discussion or take it elsewhere, as long as we still
have potential defects.

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner