[Gpg4win-users-en] "unknown" cert on good sig with GpgOL (Re: (no subject))

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 3 12:51:44 CEST 2014

Hi Bob,

On Friday 29 August 2014 at 09:04:39, Bob Henson wrote:
> I've not been using Outlook 2007 and hence GPG4Win for a while, and I've
> just re-joined the mailing list having installed the latest beta 2.2.2. I
> notice that an error which existed when I last used GPGOL some time back
> still exists, and I wondered if there were plans to fix it?

thanks for retrying Gpg4win, your feedback helps us to improve it.

To cite from http://wiki.gnupg.org/TroubleShooting

"Goal is to build up a valid understanding of the problem, how it came to be
and possible solutions."

> When I receive
> a signed message Kleopatra gives me the message "Signature is valid".
> Clicking "Show Details" gives me the message "Signed on 2014-08-24 11:01
> with unknown certificate" and the certificate number. The key I used for
> the test was certainly known - it was my own fully trusted key, and is on
> my local keyring.

"1. If the problem is with GpgOL, try the operation with GpgEX or Kleopatra,
to exclude Outlook's influence."

In your case also against the influence of the email transport.

> For some reason the signing key is not recognised as
> being on the local keyring. The only way to check a signature is that of
> the writer is to check the key number against the 80 plus keys on my
> keyring one at a time - completely impractical.

My next step would be to see at which level this recognition fails.

So can you sign and verify a file with GpgEx? (If not try with Kleopatra, if
this fails, try on the command line).

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner