[Gpg4win-users-en] Commonly accepted SSL/TLS certificate for gpg4win websites

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Tue Oct 20 08:48:50 CEST 2015

* Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> [20151017 00:27]:
> On Fri 2015-10-16 10:14:13 -0400, Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > * Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> [20151016 10:16]:
> >> You may also want to wait a few more weeks for the LetsEncrypt initiative.
> >
> > Might be acceptable for regular, modern browsers. But their root
> > certificate is so young (June 2015), so not even they use a
> > certificate signed by it.
>
> the LetsEncrypt root cert is already cross-signed by a well-known root
> that is already in modern browsers.  no waiting will be necessary once
> they start issuing certs.

Ah, I didn't notice that, and I never heard about them until now.

IdenTrust's website is confusing though ... I wanted to find out
about which browsers they support and found this little gem :)
https://www.identrust.com/certificates/browser_settings.html

But I verified that their root certificate is in Debian (even in
squeeze): O=Digital Signature Trust Co.,CN=DST Root CA X3

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998