[Gpg4win-users-en] key type not supported

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Oct 30 17:50:04 CET 2015

Hi,

On Friday 30 October 2015 17:19:30 Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> I got the following message in the gpg-user maillist. Enigmail tells me
> that the key type is not supported.
>
> I have thunderbird 38.3.0, enigmail 1.8.2 and gpg4win from today. I
> wonder what is so new that it is not yet supported in Gpg4win

The message was signed twice. Once with an RSA subkey and once with an ed25519
subkey:
Verifying on the command line with GnuPG 2.1 gives me:

Signature made Fri 30 Oct 2015 12:44:06 PM CET using RSA key ID B31F25F0
Signature made Fri 30 Oct 2015 12:44:13 PM CET using EDDSA key ID 1AF778E4

The EDDSA key is an ed25519 ECC [1] key. ECC keys in GnuPG are a new feature
of GnuPG 2.1. And for compatibility reasons they should still be avoided.
Gpg4win still uses the stable branch of GnuPG (2.0) that does not support ECC
keys.

So i guess for this key Enigmail correctly told you that the key type is not
supported. (The error message probably could have been a bit more verbose ;-)
)

We are planning to release a beta of Gpg4win that includes GnuPG 2.1 end of
November.

Regards,
Andre

1: https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_Cryptography