[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg-agent scdaemon + yubikey smartcard not asking for PIN with PUTTY

Sijie Bu tombu at tombu.xyz
Thu Mar 24 17:18:12 CET 2016

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2016, 15:04:18 schrieb Bowlers Bloody:
>> Ok, I installed gpg4win 3.0.0 BETA 128.
>> The problem stay the same, no pin is asked.
> Thanks for testing.
> (Can you also add the results from this thread in the tracker?)
>
>> I tried on another computer (fresh install) running Windows 7 x64, and
>> with another smartcard, same problem.
> Hmm does pinentry work in normal circumstance, e.g.
> when you want to sign or decrypt with a soft-store keys?
>
> I think that we also should peek at the logs, especially the
> gpg-agent log.
>
> Best,
> Bernhard

I had a similar problem and I found that it probably is related how the
keys are dealt with YubiKey and OpenPGP card. The proper way for me to
do this was to to use the "--expert --gen-key" option to generate keys.
Besides the main signing key, I manually added two more subkeys for
encryption and authentication. I then moved the three keys to the
YubiKey (and later in another test, OpenPGP card) and have each of the
keys to the corresponding slot. Then it works. It seems that gpg-agent
will only use authentication key for SSH login but there is a version of
modified Pagenat that can use both signing and authentication key for
SSH login.

Sincerely,
Sijie