[Gpg4win-users-en] suggestion: add modify to add/remove program options

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon May 2 09:52:03 CEST 2016

Hi Stefan, hi Sijie,

Am Montag, 2. Mai 2016 07:24:04 schrieb Sijie Bu:
> Stefan Hett wrote:

> > just a quick/minor suggestion I'd like to raise:
> > Could the installer be improved so that it allows to change the
> > installed components directly from the Add/Remove Programs list in
> > Windows?

thanks for the suggestion.  Can you give us more motivation
why you would want to change the installed components?
In our usage ideas this is a rare situation, so have not put much thought
into supporting it.

> AFAIK the add/remove option is provided by Windows Installer and
> requires Gpg4win to be packaged in MSI. This is AFAIK not possible using
> NSIS and may require a commercial software to build a new installer.

There are the Free Software wixtools which can create MSI installers,
though you would need to run them on a Windows system because you
need  msi.dll. We may consider at some point to switch to  toolchain like
this, though not because of the above usage scenario.
See some discussion about this here:
https://wiki.gnupg.org/Gpg4win/Installer

Best,

www.intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3