[Gpg4win-users-en] Compatibility issue PGP / GPG

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Jun 18 08:53:09 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Friday, June 15, 2018 1:29:58 PM CEST Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear, generally when I encrypt files with GPGWin last version to
> recipients  with PGP public keys, they tell me they cannot decrypt the
> files.
>
> For example, today I had a problem because one client uses PGP 6.5.8
> and he could not decrypt the file at all.

Using a security software that has not been updated in ~18 years (I think) is
not a good idea. You really should tell your communication partner to use
something more recent.

> Is is true ? What is the best way to use a universal GPG client in
> order to encrypt/decrypt all PGP/GPG keys withouy any problem?

Possible at some point GnuPG switched to slightly more modern Algorithms then
the outdated ones supported in such an old version.

GnuPG offers some compatibility functions if you use it on the command line
like:

--pgp7

If this works for you you can also put it into a gpg.conf file so that it is
also used when Kleopatra is used.

An even more restrictive option is:

--rfc2440

But this is dangerous as it e.g. removes integrity protection from encrypted
messages. You should only use that for specific messages (which are also
signed) and not in general because then people with more recent OpenPGP
Software will run into errors.

Best Regards,
Andre

--