[Gpg4win-users-en] gpg4win 3.1.16 with updated GnuPG 2.2.32: No public key found despite having refreshed the keys

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Dec 22 11:32:05 CET 2021

Hi,

Am Mittwoch 22 Dezember 2021 02:11:28 schrieb David:
> I had the same problem yesterday and so I may be able to help here.
> *My fix was to reimport the key EF6E 286D DA85 EA2A 4BA7  DE68 4E2C 6E87
> 9329 8290 from a recent copy as I think it has been edited to extend the
> expiration date.*
> I cut and paste into GPA from
> https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/EF6E286DDA85EA2A4BA7DE684E2C
>6E8793298290

Looking at a more full version, e.g.

http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?search=0xE53D989A9E2D47BF&fingerprint=on&op=index
it seems is one one of the public keys that got flodded with
third-party signatures and they added a new subkey.

This will cause the problem when refreshing the key.
It seems the emerging new pubkeyserver do not carry the pubkey currently,
see https://spider.pgpkeys.eu/sks-peers

The a better alternative then using keys.openpgp.org is to use
WKD to get the pubkey directly from the Tor Project, e.g.
https://support.torproject.org/tbb/how-to-verify-signature/

(The problem with keys.openpgp.org is that they valididate pubkeys, which aims
for being a central service and they do not serve the other pubkeys in a way
being compatible with the openpgp standard 4880.)

But WKD is more directy anyway, so you could use
gpg --auto-key-locate nodefault,wkd --locate-keys torbrowser at torproject.org
or try
   gpg --locate-keys torbrowser at torproject.org
in the command line.