[Gpg4win-users-en] pubkey server network(s)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 23 12:19:47 CET 2021

Am Donnerstag 23 Dezember 2021 12:09:31 schrieb Andrew Gallagher:
> > On 23 Dec 2021, at 09:45, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:

> > (I had just meant to make a very brief statement, glossing over the
> > details.
>
> I’m nitpicking, I concur with the majority of your points!

For users the "user experience" of keyservers has degraded
and I hope we can reestablish it. And your work is helping a lot
to do this. Thanks for all your work!

> > Maybe you can point me to the reasons you have mentioned elsewhere, why
> > the pool DNS entry is problematic.)
>
> Lack of legal clarity. The pool DNS led to one individual fielding data
> protection queries about the content of servers that were outside his
> control. Individual server operators can act as data controllers, but the
> pool owner cannot.

This looks like something that can be clarified, as the DNS provider does not
provide the data, let us take this topic to gnupg-devel for 2022 or so.

Best