[Gpg4win-users-en] Password prompt with Outlook Module

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 15 15:40:18 CEST 2024

Hi Tom,

Am Freitag 05 Juli 2024 02:13:32 schrieb Tom Moore:
> I have been using Gpg with Outlook for a few months now and one thing I
> have noticed is that when sending a message that needs to be encrypted
> there seems to be a 30 second pause from when I hit the send button and
> when I am asked for my encryption Passphrase.
> Is there some sort of timeout that needs to occur before I see this prompt
> or might there be some other reason for the delay process?

there is no deliberate delay that I know of.
If you encrypt for the first time in your session,
it could be some startup time of dirmngr and gpg-agent,
which afterwards run as services.
But 30 seconds seems a bit much.

If you encrypt a second time, after the passphrase has timed out,
does it also take 30 seconds?

> When decrypting e-mails this doesn't occur.
> The passphrase prompt shows up right away.

If you want, you could turn on the GpgOL logging or try an encryption on the
command line, but would give more information about what is happening.

https://wiki.gnupg.org/TroubleShooting#Command_line_operations
has some hints on that.

Best Regards,

https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter