[Inteproxy-devel] Problems with .htaccess-secured sites in normal webproxy-mode

Stephan Holl stephan.holl at intevation.de
Thu Apr 12 16:46:53 CEST 2007

Hello Bernhard,

Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de>, [20070412-16:02:07]:

> On Thursday 12 April 2007 12:06, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > while using InteProxy from trunk as a normal web-proxy with my
> > brower (firefox) I encountered a problem on basic-auth-secured
> > webpages.
> [...]
> >   File "InteProxy.py", line 339, in find_user_password
> >     user, password = getpassword(title)
> > NameError: global name 'getpassword' is not defined
>
> I've fixed the immediate problem in SVN now (rev. 43).
> You should be able to access the server now.  However, it's InteProxy
> that asks for the password now, not Firefox.  It would be better to
> let the browser handle the user interaction in this case.

Works again. thanks.
Yes, I think so too. InteProxy should only accquire OWSProxy-relevant
user/pwds.

> It's not easy to fix it, though.  The problem is that InteProxy uses
> urllib2 to connect to the remote hosts and urllib2 is a bit too
> intelligent for our purposes in that it wants to handle the
> authentication itself.  It would be possible to override that but I
> suspect that similar problems will crop up in the future too.  Some
> of the problems we had in the past (e.g. issue #271) were aleady at
> least partly due to the use of urllib2.
>
> This automatic handling of authentication was one of the reasons to
> use urllib2 originally, but back then InteProxy wasn't trying to be a
> regular http proxy for use with normal browsers and other programs
> which can handle such things themselves.
>
> I suggest we ditch urllib2 and implement what little we actually need
> from the http protocol ourselves, or at least use httplib instead.

mhh, too intelligent.

Is it correct that InteProxy can be used as a normal webproxy now?

If so, there are some oddities in "normal" webbrowsing though.
For example when trying to access the
NiedersachsenViewer[1] through InteProxy, all images are lost and the
app is not usable.

Navigating there directly is fine though.

Best
	Stephan

[1] http://geoportal.geodaten.niedersachsen.de/navigator/
--
Stephan Holl <stephan.holl at intevation.de>, http://intevation.de/~stephan
Tel: +49 (0)541-33 50 8 32 | Intevation GmbH | AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998