[Winpt-users] Use of OpenPGP card

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Tue Oct 25 19:58:04 CEST 2005

On Tue Oct 25 2005; 08:37, Duncan McQueen wrote:

> Does WinPT allow full integration with the OpenPGP Smart Card such that I
> can use the key stored on the card to encrypt / decrypt a message?

Yes. Actually I tested it with a brand new 1.1 OpenPGP card.

For me card generation worked.

I also succeded to generate signatures and to decrypt data.

There are no special preparaton needed. If you import a card key,
the Key Manager should mark it as "pub/crd" otherwise something is wrong.

Extra caution must be used with the PIN because after 3 wrong admin PINs
the card is locked forever. But GPG has a mechanism that it fails
after the wrong PIN was entered and thus a card lock is hardly
possible. I don't say the WinPT interface does not work, but propably
some extra (developer) tests would be useful.

        Timo