[Gpg4win-devel] Creating a Sponsors page

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jun 14 17:15:51 CEST 2007

At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:25:00 +0200,
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> So, I propose to start with the sponsors page.
>
> IMHO, it should be a enumerated list of the names ordered by the amount of
> money they sponsored but not naming the amount.

I don't think that keeping a ranked high score is a good idea.  People
should donate to support the goals of the project, and not to rank
high in a completely arbitrary competition.  Also, I agree with
Bernhard that this mis-values the personal sacrifice each individual
makes with their donation.

Not naming the amount requires that you do not name the total either,
because if the list is updated incrementally, that would reveal
considerable information about each individual donation: Namely the
average of all donations added at one step.  What you can do is to
name an annual total, or the total across other large time frames.

I suggest to give sponsor names only, alphabetically or in some
chronological order, and give totals only at the end of some large
time period, but earliest after a certain number of donations (say 50).

> Additionally I was asked by a potential sponsor whether
> it is possible to have the sponsorts logo and link on the gpg4win
> site (actually it was asked for the main page).

If advertisement should be part of gpg4win, then that should be
decided on separately and independent of donations.  I suspect that
advertisement contracts include further rules such as click rates,
guaranteed uptimes etc.

As for donations, I would not find a special category of corporate
sponsorship objectionable.  The logo could be displayed along with the
company name on the sponsors page.  Additional rules should apply to
such sponsorships (for example, that there is no right for the logo to
be displayed, etc).

Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks,
Marcus