[Gpg4win-devel] gpgme in gpg4win?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Dec 3 13:41:04 CET 2009

Nikolay Sklabinsky wrote:
> I chose the basic way of doing things just to avoid confusion, since as a
> Windows-based developer I have no experience with GNU; at least in the case
> of libgpg-error it produced good results. Also, I failed to locate the
> speedo, but I don't regret it much.

Well, you are trying to pick up many things at the same time.  Running speedo
first would give you a working good state quickly.  If you are then still
interested in learning why and how it works, you could still do that, but you
would have something to study.

If you want to recreate it, it is not enough to know about the
./configure;make;make install cycle that is used for builds on the BUILD OS.
You also need to know how to maintain a cross compilation setup.  This
includes at least the following (not an exhaustive list):

1. A strict separation of build system libraries and host system libraries,
using the correct --prefix and usually --with-libfoo-prefix options with
configure (as it is not good style to install directly into the cross compiler
tree, although that would be possible).

2. The correct installation of the cross compiler and choosing the right host
OS name with --host.

Specifically in your case:

>From your make output, you are *still* using gcc, and not
i586-mingw32msvc-gcc.  This can not work.  You must fix this first, and also
rebuild libgpg-error, as your whole setup is still broken.  You have not cross
compiled anything yet!

You are also picking up a version of libgpg-error that is in /usr/local/.
Hopefully this is not a windows version as you never want to install those in
such a location.  Instead you want to install them in some other place with
"configure --prefix=..." and then specify that location with gpgme configure
option --with-libgpg-error-prefix.

Thanks,
Marcus