[Gpg4win-devel] Funding needed: gpgex 64 bit desired

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 23 16:46:06 CET 2010

Am Freitag, 30. April 2010 02:28:52 schrieb Marcus Brinkmann:
> I just got feedback from a user who noticed that Windows 7 64-bit is not
> compatible with gpgex.
>
> The background is this: In Windows Vista 64 bit and some (or all?) Windows
> 7 versions before the RC version, it was possible to start a separate
> 32-bit explorer even on 64-bit machines, which could load 32 bit
> extensions. Apparently this feature was removed from Windows 7 RC and
> subsequently.  This means that GpgEX does not work on Windows 7 64 bit.
>
> Please note that if GpgEX does not work for you, all operations possible
> through GpgEX are also directly available through the Kleopatra main
> program, by selecting the operation first and then the file to work on.
>
> For people who want to work on fixing this: It would be required to build
> at least libgpg-error, libassuan and gpgex with a 64 bit version of mingw.
>  There may be some 64-bit incompatibilities (in libassuan), though.  More
> importantly (I think), the 64-bit build needs to be integrated into the
> packaging and release process, which also seems to require a fair amount of
> work.

Just to let you know: We [*] believe that we would need about roughly 25 days
of work to solve the 64 bit issue with GpgEX and the full crypto stack
underneath. Work could be completed in January or February 2011 at least this
is how it looks today.

So if any of you has funds left for christmas,
we'll make you an attractive offer ;)

Best,
Bernhard

[*] Intevation, g10code, KDAB.