[Gpg4win-devel] Build instructions Re: SVN build: Failed to download packages

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sat Nov 3 13:12:07 CET 2012

Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:

> Well, this is standard Bourne (aka POSIX) Shell Script.  It ios probably
> easier to look at the macro in configure.ac which generated it:
>
>   AC_CHECK_PROGS(GLIB_COMPILE_RESOURCES, glib-compile-resources)
>
> This checks whethe the program glib-compile-resources is installed on
> your system.  On a Debian system this is part of the package
> libglib2.0-bin .

Thanks, that's what I need to proceed - and it even gives to me some
small insight into how configure is created. The program
glib-compile-resource is defininetly not on my system.

I've no experience with GLib so far. So let me give some system
details: My shipped version is GLib 2.28 with the relevant packages
being:
- libglib-2_0-0-32bit-2.28.0-3.8.1.x86_64
- libglib-2_0-0-2.28.0-3.8.1.x86_64
- glib2-branding-openSUSE-11.4-4.2.noarch
- glib2-tools-2.28.0-3.8.1.x86_64
- libpackagekit-glib2-devel-0.6.14-0.8.1.x86_64
- libpackagekit-glib2-14-0.6.14-0.8.1.x86_64
- glib2-devel-2.28.0-3.8.1.x86_64

An intense research reveals that none of the above packages contains
glib-compile-resource. Moreover, there is no non-installed package
that does.

However, openSUSE 12.2 shipps with GLib 2.32 which contains
glib-compile-resource in package glib2-devel-2.32.3-4.1.2.x86_64:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/18519761/dir/opensuse_12.x/com/glib2-devel-2.32.3-4.1.2.x86_64.rpm.html

My conclusion is that my GLib version could be too old. Therefore I
have to know, if glib-compile-resource is a needed program, e.g. can
Gpg4win be built without it.

If glib-compile-resource is needed, I will have to install GLib 2.32
from source from (please correct my if I'm wrong):
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.32/. I've quick-checked
to compile GLib 2.32 sources with success - and glib-compile-resource
has been build as well :-).

To finally summarize my questions:
- Do I need glib-compile-resource to build Gpg4win? Please see my last
  posting with error on trying to build without it. Is this error
  related to missing glib-compile-resource?
- If I need glib-compile-resource: How can I tell Gpg4win to use a
  locally compiled or installed (eg. to /usr/local) version without
  messing up my system? I see the option --enable-pkg-glib=DIR in
  configure and wonder, if it could do that job.

> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

Regards,
Peter