[Gpg4win-devel] Claws Mail's installer, moving away from GPG4Win

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sun Nov 11 00:02:33 CET 2012

Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've tried a lot, since GPG4win's repository includes the latest GLib,
> to make a build succeed, but I never managed to. Be it with Ubuntu
> 11.10, 12.04 or 12.10 I had cross-build toolchain issues that ended up
> with an impossibility to build glib or even to finish ./configure...

Well, you've probalbly followed my attempts to build Gpg4win. They are
still without success while I'm waiting for some help from the
list. My latest configure error by the way is GLib related as well :-)

> As it was a while since I wanted to have a more Claws-oriented Windows
> package, I took the easy route and forked the now-unmaintained GPG4win
> SVN repository, the most recent version I could build, so I can
> maintain it on claws-mail.org.
>
> I've reworked the installer there to remove what Claws Mail users
> aren't interested in (like GPGol :-)), remove some questions they don't
> need and some things like that.
>
> The end result is visible on http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/ and the
> source can be fetched via Subversion on:
>
>     http://svn.claws-mail.org/svn/claws/
>
> I will continue updating GPG4win's package.current file when I'll build
> newer versions of Claws Mail if you think this will help you - but
> these newer versions will have been tested with possibly older
> libraries. The occasional breakage could happen.

Thanks for providing a Claws Mail packages based on the latest
source. To my opinion it's a good idea to separate at least partly
Claws from Gpg4win. The main reason is that Claws can be used
independently from Gpg4win/GnuPG. This allows in particular separate
Claws updates uncoupled from Gpg4win.

Although I'm not involved in programing Gpg4win I propose to even
finally exclude Claws from the GIT tree of Gpg4win, e.g. to develope
both packages independently.

> What do you think?

Hopefully I'm not looking paranoid when asking you to provide an
OpenPGP signature of your latest Windows installer of Claws Mail.

Did you compile Claws with CRAM-MD5 support? I'm interested in it,
because I've disabled PLAIN and LOGIN from my mail server for security
reasons. It's mainly because my favorite portable mail client Gnus
still has problems under Windows to use SSL connections.

And a final wish: Could you please provide a very brief build
instruction of the Claws SVN source. May be I will be more successful
with it than with Gpg4win :-).

If your Claws should have been built without CRAM-MD5, could you
please tell me how to do so?

Peter