[Gpg4win-devel] Claws Mail's installer, moving away from GPG4Win

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Sun Nov 11 09:19:05 CET 2012

On 11 November 2012 at 00h02, Dr. Peter Voigt wrote:

Hi,

> Well, you've probalbly followed my attempts to build Gpg4win. They are
> still without success while I'm waiting for some help from the
> list. My latest configure error by the way is GLib related as well :-)

If that's pthread stuff in glib, then that's the same issue :)

> Thanks for providing a Claws Mail packages based on the latest
> source. To my opinion it's a good idea to separate at least partly
> Claws from Gpg4win. The main reason is that Claws can be used
> independently from Gpg4win/GnuPG. This allows in particular separate
> Claws updates uncoupled from Gpg4win.

True... Although with the Windows model of shipping every related dll
etc., my installer still installs its own version of gnupg.

> Although I'm not involved in programing Gpg4win I propose to even
> finally exclude Claws from the GIT tree of Gpg4win, e.g. to develope
> both packages independently.

What we'd need then would be to have both installers agree on where to
install so Claws can find gpgme dlls, but there would probably be
difficulties on how to ship dlls needed by both.

What I would like to do in the long term is manage to build the
official Gpg4win again, and at that point in time, take my
Claws-related work back to gpg4win as a different target ('make
claws-mail-installer' or something). If that's welcomed by the GPG4win
team of course. That would allow me not to lose my work, and us all to
stop duplicating things.

> Hopefully I'm not looking paranoid when asking you to provide an
> OpenPGP signature of your latest Windows installer of Claws Mail.

You're right, I have to do that. I'll do.

> Did you compile Claws with CRAM-MD5 support? I'm interested in it,
> because I've disabled PLAIN and LOGIN from my mail server for security
> reasons. It's mainly because my favorite portable mail client Gnus
> still has problems under Windows to use SSL connections.

No, I didn't. That's libetpan which needs building with CRAM-MD5
support, the difficulty is that it's required to port sasl. It may be
simple, or not :)

> And a final wish: Could you please provide a very brief build
> instruction of the Claws SVN source. May be I will be more successful
> with it than with Gpg4win :-).

It's rather straightforward on a Debian, see the README file.

> If your Claws should have been built without CRAM-MD5, could you
> please tell me how to do so?

See the README file on how to add packages to the installer, but that's
a process more involved than just building :)

--
Colin