[Gpg4win-devel] ECC code enable on the GnuPG

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat May 11 15:59:48 CEST 2013

On Tue,  7 May 2013 05:36, royurban at hushmail.me said:
> I would like GPG4WIN to enable the ECC code on the GnuPG, since I
> would like to start using a better crypto and a faster one like

That is not possible because we have no GnuPG release with ECC support
yet.  GnuPG 2.1 is still beta and not suitable for general consumption.

> Currently the crypto operations (RSA/ DSA) take too much time for most
> people to use it... and they don't offer that much protection...

That is not noticeable on standard machines.

The major problem is that the whole crypto stuff with its required key
management is way to complicated for most users.  If it does not work
invisible, most users won't get into the trouble of learning about key
management et al.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner