[Gpg4win-devel] False postive virus detections of Gpg4Win binaries

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri May 17 11:55:19 CEST 2013

Hi,
we had a thread on gpg4win-users-en about a virus reported by F-Secure in the
gpg4win package. According to Virustotal [1] some scanners detect the
signature of Gen:Variant.Kazy.115700 in scdaemon.exe.
This is a false positive that you can easily reproduce by compiling scdaemon
from gnupg-2.0.20 with gcc-mingw-w64-i686 (Debian Package Version 4.6.3-14+8)

While this is neither a fault of gnupg or gpg4win, the problem of
overenthusiastic virus scanners is still an annyoing problem that can scare
or confuse users.

A wide check with metascan-online, where I just uploaded a zip archive of all
our binaries revealed additional reports for: Win32.SuspectCrc,
Trojan.Win32.Swrort!E2, BackdoorSwrort.apb.bitk, VirTool.Win32.Obfuscator.hg
and Gen Malware Detection.A3. Those were each reported only by a single
scanner.
The next step here would be to upload each file, and check where the detection
error occurs.

If you want to help us, please check the files contained in the beta-197
package with virustotal or your favorite virus scanner and report a false
positive to the publisher of that scanner if you get a result. Hopefully this
will reduce the reports before the stable gpg4win-2.1.1 release.

I've already notified F-Secure about the false positive in scdaemon.exe

Thanks and Regards,
Andre

https://www.virustotal.com/file/1efd2fedf2f08c29f63a530bf64da73632d3f50144e4b0a08a6da94a1e4898d5/analysis/

--