[Gpg4win-devel] Broken claws mail from gpg4win package on the site

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 9 17:18:49 CET 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 at 23:13:05, Cristian Baboi wrote:
> >It would probably be helpful to verify/decrypt the message on the
> >command line using gpgsm. Thus we could exclude e.g. GPGSM
> >problem.s.
>
> Both the command line and this version of claws mail are working.
>
> > I've just tried to do so but I failed. I have not enough
> >knowledge about internal processes, e.g. I do not know, if headers are
> >to be included and if I have to BASE64 decode before and how to process
> >MIME boundary strings. Maybe someone can give help on this.

Overall it is a good idea in this situation, to try to send an attachment
which has the same cryptographic properties, e.g. encrypted to X,Y,
signed by Z and then try gpgsm on the saved attachment.

You can make it possible to decode the MIME part for a signed messages,
but it is not that easy.

> If the message is smime encrypted, just save the attachment from a mail
> client that doesn't know smime and decrypt the file. The result is a
> message in eml format.
>
> I think signing and encrypting need client support. I don't know if gpgsm
> can process mime encoded files.

gpgsm does not know about MIME.

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner