[Gpg4win-devel] Controlling gpg-agent under MS Windows 7

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Tue Mar 18 16:09:51 CET 2014

Am Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:13:28 +0100
schrieb Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:13, pvoigt at uos.de said:
> > Under Linux:
> >
> > gpg-connect-agent /bye
> > gpgconf --kill gpg-agent
>
> But only with 2.1.
>
> > 1.) Is option --kill really not implemented or am I doing something
> >     wrong?
>
> Only avaialable with gnupg 2.1.
>
> > 2.) Is there any other way besides killing the task with the
> >     task manager to properly kill gpg-agent under Windows?
>
>   gpg-connect-agent killagent /bye
>
> that is actullay what we are doing during uninstall:
>
>   ifFileExists "$INSTDIR\gpg-connect-agent.exe" 0
> no_u_gpg_connect_agent ifFileExists "$INSTDIR\libgpg-error-0.dll" 0
> no_u_gpg_connect_agent ifFileExists "$INSTDIR\libw32pth-0.dll" 0
> no_u_gpg_connect_agent ExecWait '"$INSTDIR\gpg-connect-agent.exe"
> killagent /bye'
>

> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

Thanks for clarifying this. I have obviously mixed
Linux and Window commands and all together with the online manual of
gpgconf
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/gpgconf.html
which is hard to be identified as referring to version 2.1.

Start and stop cycle under Windows is clear now to me (gpg 2.0.22):
gpg-connect-agent /bye
gpg-connect-agent killagent /bye

If I understand things correctly, under Linux start/stop cycle is more
complicated:
"gpgconf --reload gpg-agent" stops a running agent successfully. But I
have never succeeded so far to restart the agent from a running KDE/X
session in a way that all shells and applications are aware of it. The
only way I have seen so far is to finish the KDE/X session and to
reopen it. That starts a new gpg-agent that is seen by all
applications. Usually this is achieved by a gpg-agent entry in
~/.xinitrc or comparable mechanisms.

Is there a more elegant way to stop/start the gpg-agent within a
running KDE/X session?

Regards,
Peter