[Gpg4win-devel] Controlling gpg-agent under MS Windows 7

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Tue Mar 18 23:08:45 CET 2014

Am Tue, 18 Mar 2014 17:47:29 +0100
schrieb Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>:

> Use the same commands as under Windows.  --reload re-reads only parts
> of the configuration file.

Unfortunately, on demand starting under Linux using
gpg-connect-agent killagent /bye
fails with following error message:
"gpg-connect-agent: can't connect to the agent: IPC "connect" Aufruf
fehlgeschlagen"

> That depends on how KDE is starts the agent. With 2.1 this will change
> to the same way we do it under Windows; i.e. on demand starting.  You
> can force that already today by putting the option
>
> use-standard-socket
>
> into gpg-agent.conf and make sure that the system does not initially
> start gpg-agent.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am looking for :-) I disabled automatic
system start of gpg-agent - took some to to fiddle it out - and let
gpg-agent start on demand. This works fine with gpg/gpgsm in a shell and
with Claws Mail and with GNU Emacs/Gnus. In this mode of operation I
have to manually export SSH_AUTH_SOCK to be further able to use
gpg-agent with SSH. I have to test out where to source
~/.gnupg/agent.info and export SSH_AUTH_SOCK: I will probably use
~/.bashrc.

> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

Regards,