[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win and Claws Mail

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Tue Jul 14 21:38:02 CEST 2015

On 14/07/2015 18:24, Andre Heinecke wrote:
>>> We should probably also probably uninstall claws for users that just
>>> update by installing a new Version version of Gpg4win (the usual case).
>>
>> Surely uninstalling Claws would really confuse users, especially if they
>> are using it.
>>
>> Perhaps offer uninstallation of Claws as an option.
>
> Yes I would have done something like:
>
> Message Box: (To be shown for users that have claws mail installed through the
> gpg4win installer)
> Title: Claws Mail now available as a standalone installer.
> Message: Gpg4win no longer includes Claws mail. If you want to continue to use
> claws please obtain an up to date version from <claws_download_page>.
>
> The deprecated, bundled Version of Claws mail will now be uninstalled.
>                                                                  OK | Cancel
>
> If canceled the installer would not move to the next page and the new Version
> gpg4win version could not be installed.
>
> Or should We allow installing the new Gpg4win version without uninstalling
> claws (And show that messagebox again the next time an update is installed)

I think it would definitely be best if Gpg4win installation could go
ahead without uninstalling Claws.

I think I'd prefer something like this in the installer if it detected
that Claws Mail had been installed by an earlier Gpg4win installer:-

"This version and futures versions of Gpg4win do not include the Claws
Mail email client. You can obtain updates to Claws Mail from
www.claws-mail.org. Claws Mail is currently installed on your system. If
you are not using Claws Mail and do not wish to keep it then tick this
box and it will be uninstalled. Otherwise Claws Mail will be left
installed."

The box should not be ticked by default.

This way the user will be fully informed and will not have something
uninstalled unexpectedly.

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp